March is colorectal CANCER awareness month click here to read nancy's blog and scroll down for information on how to donate
SHE CRAB SOUP
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups half and half cream
- 4 teaspoons finely-grated onion
- ¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground mace
- ¼ teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
- ¼ teaspoon grated lemon zest (rind)
- 1 ½ pounds flaked blue crab meat (other types of crabmeat may be substituted)
- ¼ cup crab roe (2 crumbled hard cooked egg yolks may be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped, fresh parsley leaves
1. In a large, heavy pot over low heat, melt butter, then add flour and blend until smooth.
2. Slowly add milk and half and half cream, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook until thickened.
3. Add onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, white pepper, mace, cayenne pepper and lemon zest. Bring just to a boil, stirring constantly.
4. Reduce heat to low, add crabmeat and crab roe (or crumbled hard-cooked egg yolks) and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes (if the soup appears about to boil, remove the pan from the heat for a minute or so, then return).
5. Remove from heat and add sherry, stirring to mix. Let sit for 3 to 4 minutes before serving.
6. To serve, pour the soup into individual heated soup bowls, dividing the crabmeat and roe equally into each bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.