March is colorectal CANCER awareness month click here to read nancy's blog and scroll down for information on how to donate
PENINSULA GRILL CHARLESTON COCONUT CAKE
- 2 cups coconut flakes, medium shredded
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1½ tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Sliced strawberries, for garnish
DIRECTIONS - for the cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Spread the coconut evenly onto a medium sheet pan, and bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Reserve for the cake assembly.
3. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs three at a time, mixing well after each addition, until light in color.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and coconut oil. In another bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. Starting with the cream mixture, alternately add the wet and the dry sifted ingredients until all are incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
5. Spray 2 (10-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray, and divide the batter evenly among them. Bake until toothpicks inserted into the cakes come out clean, about 50 minutes to an hour.