March is colorectal CANCER awareness month click here to read nancy's blog and scroll down for information on how to donate
Shop by State
- South Carolina Collection
- Tennessee Collection
- Southern Cooking Collection
- Read All About the South Y'all
- 2023 Collection
- Custom Printing
- About Us
- Amazon Picks
LODGE CAST IRON FRIED CATFISH
• 4 pounds catfish fillets, cut in half
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 2 cups buttermilk
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 4 quarts vegetable oil
• 2 cups yellow cornmeal
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 cup mayonnaise
• ½ teaspoon hot sauce
• 1 teaspoon sweet and spicy relish
• ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon onion, minced
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Season all sides of catfish with salt and pepper. Place in a bowl and coat with buttermilk. Refrigerate while prepping other ingredients.
2. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, black pepper, salt, and cayenne.
3. While heating oil over medium heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, combine all ingredients for tartar sauce. Mix and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
4. Remove catfish from buttermilk and allow extra to drip off. Dip catfish pieces, one at a time, into the flour mixture and shake off excess.
5. Fry the catfish for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown, turning halfway through. Allow catfish to drain on a paper towel-lined plate before serving.
See our Let's Get Cookin' Tennessee gift box and cook like real Southerner.