Hey Y’all! Welcome to Daisy Peach – a Southern Boutique Featuring Gifts, Recipes, Nostalgia and Fun!
She Crab Soup
Posted on April 11 2023,
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups half and half cream
- 4 teaspoons finely-grated onion
- ¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground mace
- ¼ teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
- ¼ teaspoon grated lemon zest (rind)
- 1 ½ pounds flaked blue crab meat (other types of crabmeat may be substituted)
- ¼ cup crab roe (2 crumbled hard cooked egg yolks may be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped, fresh parsley leaves
1. In a large, heavy pot over low heat, melt butter, then add flour and blend until smooth.
2. Slowly add milk and half and half cream, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook until thickened.
3. Add onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, white pepper, mace, cayenne pepper and lemon zest. Bring just to a boil, stirring constantly.
4. Reduce heat to low, add crabmeat and crab roe (or crumbled hard-cooked egg yolks) and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes (if the soup appears about to boil, remove the pan from the heat for a minute or so, then return).
5. Remove from heat and add sherry, stirring to mix. Let sit for 3 to 4 minutes before serving.
6. To serve, pour the soup into individual heated soup bowls, dividing the crabmeat and roe equally into each bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
I am Daisy Peach, just a Southern girl who loves to share my Southern world.
I am a forty (something) mom of an amazing teenager, Emma, and wife to my soulmate, Rob. We live in Nashville, TN and enjoy all things southern, casual, cozy and fun!