Hey Y’all! Welcome to Daisy Peach – a Southern Boutique Featuring Gifts, Recipes, Nostalgia and Fun!
Posted on April 11 2023,
- 1 ham hock
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 1 ½ cups red peas (or substitute with black-eyed peas)
- 2 cups Carolina Gold rice (or substitute with long-grain white rice)
- 2 teaspoons of pepper vinegar
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Seasoning Salt
- Garlic Salt
1. Let ham hock boil for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
2. Dice onion, bell pepper and garlic–set aside. Add red peas once ham hock is tender. Stir occasionally.
3. Next, add onion, bell pepper, garlic and pepper vinegar. Mix ingredients.
4. Add dry spices (salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, seasoning salt and garlic salt).
5. Add water as needed for peas (enough to cover ingredients in dish) and cover dish with lid.
6. Rinse rice until water runs clear. Add rice to dish and cover in water. Mix ingredients and let cook for 30 minutes.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
I am Daisy Peach, just a Southern girl who loves to share my Southern world.
I am a forty (something) mom of an amazing teenager, Emma, and wife to my soulmate, Rob. We live in Nashville, TN and enjoy all things southern, casual, cozy and fun!