Hey Y’all! Welcome to Daisy Peach – a Southern Boutique Featuring Gifts, Recipes, Nostalgia and Fun!
Gullah Red Rice
Posted on April 11 2023,
- 2 cups uncooked parboiled rice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces smoked pork sausage, finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced
- Two 6-ounce cans tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
1. Rinse the rice until the water becomes slightly clear. (This removes the starch.)
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onion and pepper and cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften and start to brown at the edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, sugar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir rice into the tomato mixture and cook, uncovered, and stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and spread into an even layer. Add just enough water to cover the rice (about 2 cups). Tightly cover with a lid or foil and bake for 30 minutes without uncovering the baking dish. Turn off the oven, remove the rice, fluff the rice, then cover and return to oven for 10 minutes more.
RECIPE COURTESY OF KARDEA BROWN
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
I am Daisy Peach, just a Southern girl who loves to share my Southern world.
I am a forty (something) mom of an amazing teenager, Emma, and wife to my soulmate, Rob. We live in Nashville, TN and enjoy all things southern, casual, cozy and fun!