Hey Y’all! Welcome to Daisy Peach – a Southern Boutique Featuring Gifts, Recipes, Nostalgia and Fun!
Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo
Posted on July 12 2023,
- ¼ cup avocado oil or butter
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour see notes for gluten free/paleo option
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 celery chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 12 oz. andouille chicken sausage or pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne optional
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 14 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb. large shrimp raw; peeled and deveined
- 1 ½ cups frozen okra
- ¼ cup green onions for garnish
- Start by prepping your vegetables: dice the onion, bell pepper and celery and place them in a bowl; set aside. Mince the garlic and set it aside separately.
- Add the oil and flour to a large pot or dutch oven. Turn the heat to medium and whisk constantly for 20 minutes (yes really!). I know, I know -- it's a little time intensive, but if you want the roux to be correct, this is what you have to do. My suggestion? Put on a good podcast and the time will fly by! Tip: you want the roux to be golden brown like the color of caramel or a little bit darker, but if it seems to be burning at all, turn the heat down to low.
- Once the 20 minutes is up, add the onion, bell pepper and celery to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes. Then, add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Next, add the sausage, cajun seasoning, salt, and cayenne if using and stir to combine. Then, pour in the chicken broth, water, diced tomatoes with their juices, coconut aminos, and bay leaves and bring the gumbo to a low boil. Simmer it uncovered for 50 minutes. Meanwhile, if you haven't already, thaw and peel the shrimp.
- Once the time is up, add the shrimp and okra to the pot and continue simmering for 10 minutes or until the shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Remove the bay leaves, then divide the gumbo into bowl and garnish with green onions. Enjoy!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
I am Daisy Peach, just a Southern girl who loves to share my Southern world.
I am a forty (something) mom of an amazing teenager, Emma, and wife to my soulmate, Rob. We live in Nashville, TN and enjoy all things southern, casual, cozy and fun!